Individual Counselling and Psychotherapy
I offer a safe and confidential place for you to be seen and heard, and provide a supportive yet challenging therapeutic relationship to explore whatever issues you are facing, to find new perspectives and actions.
I work with men and women with a wide range of presenting issues:-
- Low self-esteem or a lack of confidence
- Feeling low or depressed
- Anxious and self conscious in social situations.
- Struggling with problems related to alcohol or drug misuse
- Difficulties in their intimate relationship
- Issues relating to sex and sexuality
- Unresolved pain from family
- Loss and bereavement
- People with PTSD
- Unexplained unhappiness and dissatisfaction.
- To deal with past physical or sexual abuse
- Confusion over what you want, or difficulty making a decision.
- Emotional reactivity, finding it difficult to manage emotions.
- Recovering from the end of a relationship.
- Obsessive thinking and perfectionism.
I can work with either a short-term goal or with a more in-depth long-term focus, depending on each person’s presenting issue and need.
I believe that understanding the individual and particular subjective experience of each client is key to successful therapeutic work. This incorporates exploring the multiple forces (e.g. cultural, family, social, biological, historical, spiritual) that interact on people’s current lives. My approach emphasises relating as lived in the consulting room rather than explaining it abstractly. My focus is to enable clients to see and understand their fixed patterns of living and relating, and develop a flexibility that will enable them to lead a more satisfying life.
I receive ongoing professional supervision, regular periods of personal therapy and I continually invest in my own professional development with further training and reading. I work according to BACP and GPTI codes of ethics and practice.
Please contact me by phone or email to discuss your needs or to make an appointment